Choosing a song is probably one of the hardest things for a singer to do! So, here’s a little list of songs to help you out the next time you’re at a loss of what to present to your Tween/Teen Girl vocal student.
- Opportunity – positive, hopeful message. Popular because of the recent remake of the movie Annie. Watch on YouTube
2. Waiting Outside The Lines – Although Greyson Chance sang this song it is an excellent song for girls to sing as well.
3. Try Everything by Shakira. – Popular because of the Zootopia Movie.
4. How Far I’ll Go by Alessia Cara – Popular because of the Moana movie.
5. Colors of The Wind – Tori Kelly version
6. “Monday Is Coming” featuring Mary Rene Quarles – Fresh, fun pop celebrating the weekend.
What are some other songs that you feel should be added to this list?
Share them in a comment!
Yesterday one of my students’ parents called me and told me to listen to the music being played in the background. It was her son playing one of her daughter’s piano assignments on his trumpet! The song was Fireflies by Owl City. Her son had “stolen” his sister’s sheet music so he could learn how to play the song. He also kept saying over and over “It’s not fair! She gives you cool songs to learn! Why doesn’t my teacher give me songs like this to learn?”
So, with a nod to “the piano-assignment-stealing-brother” I write today’s post. Here is a list of the top requested songs in my studio from the past month:
1. Someone Like You by Adele
2. Fireflies by Owl City
3. Dynamite by Taio Cruz
4. Mean by Taylor Swift
5. Fur Elise by Beethoven
Of course most piano teachers know all about Fur Elise, but if you’d like to teach your students any of the other songs you can stop by any number of websites including musicnotes.com, 8notes.com, and sheetmusicplus.com for a teacher cheat sheet otherwise known as sheet music!